Federal Grants For Minorities
It is the government’s responsibility to provide the needs of its people regardless of its gender, ethnicity of religion. But in the present, minorities are always in a position where they would encounter difficulties in the field they are in. Freedom, however, does not erase prejudice and discrimination, it is imbibed in the culture which would take a long time to be changed. Federal grants for minorities ensure that the minority would experience equal rights and opportunities.
Minority federal grants can be divided or categorized into two groups:
• Ethnic minority grants – are grants designed to offer financial assistance based on ethnic challenges. Such as grants offered to African American or Latino/Hispanic students.
• Non – ethnic minority grants – are grants provided to individuals who have physical or mental barriers that placed them on disadvantaged position. These are grants offered to students who have physical disabilities, mental and learning challenges like autism, and even women education grants.
Educational grants provided to minorities are somehow similar to scholarships. The difference is that scholarships are based on the financial need and merit of the students, while educational minority grants are based on financial need by the marginalized students or ethnic minority students.
Actually educational grants for the minorities would also be the same as the popular federal grants like the Pell Federal grant. Although, these grants are open not just for minority students, most of the grant recipients are from those sectors.
If you are a minority who have hopes of starting your small business or maybe expand your business, there are also grants set aside for this purpose. The Small Business Association offers the financial assistance to small businesses. You can contact them directly to get informed about any application process or visit their website in SBA.com for latest information about financial aid.
Here are other federal grants for minorities that can be checked out:
• Bilingual / Bicultural Service Demonstration Grants – its objective is to help minorities who working with Limited-English- Proficient. This is a project based grant that aims to improve and linguistic competence of professional minorities.
• Community Programs to Improve Minority Health Program – this program is directed towards minority communities and supporting, developing, and conducting health care in the area. It would include educational awareness seminars, testing and even access to treatment.
• Cooperative Agreements to Improve Health Status of Minority Populations – this program is geared towards expanding health knowledge of the minority to prevent untimely death and heal conditions.
• Family and Community Violence Programs – this is geared towards the prevention of violent occurrences in campuses and the community.
• Project Grants for Facilities to Improve the Health Status of Minority Populations – this intends to build or improve existing facilities addressing health and population of the minority.
• State and Territorial and technical Assistance Capacity Development Minority HIV/AIDS Demonstration Program – this is to promote better understanding of the disease in minority communities.
When applying for a minority grant there would be necessary documents that are needed to be prepared. Information about the proof oh=f household income, that you are indeed a minority, information about any past grants, how much money is needed and who would benefit from the funding.
Although applying for federal grants can be exhausting, and at times disappointing, it is important not to give up! Federal grants exist for the simple reason to help the marginalized and those in need.
And if we need it, then we have the right to apply for one.