Federal Grants for Teachers

In the educational system, students are not the only ones who can get federal grants. In fact, teachers can do the same thanks to the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007.

The College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007 entitles qualified candidates to get a federal grant of up to $4,000 a year and have the intention of teaching public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families.

You must teach for at least four academic years within eight calendar years of completing the program of study for which you received a TEACH Grant. In the event that you fail to honor your commitment, you are required to repay this loan to the U.S. Department of Education. You will also have to pay interest from the date that the grant was disbursed.

If you are really interested, you are advised to contact the financial aid office at the college where you will be enrolling.

To apply for the federal grant for teachers, you must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

You must be U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.

Be currently involved as an undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, or graduate student in a postsecondary educational institution that has chosen to participate in the TEACH Grant Program and in a course that is necessary to begin a career in teaching.

Once in the program, you have to maintain a GPA of at least 3.25 during your academic years.

Lastly, you have to sign an agreement which basically says that you have to repay the money that was given if you fail to teach for the assigned period. This document you sign known as a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve is renewed annually.

Your chances of being given by federal grant are much higher when you will teach subjects such as Bilingual Education and English Language Acquisition, Foreign Language, Mathematics, Reading, Science and Special Education.

If the field of expertise you want to pursue is not mentioned, you can check with the Department of Education in your area or in other states where there are shortages.

To know more about what it takes to be a teacher in a low income school, you can check what is written on section 9101(23) of the Elementary and the Secondary Education Act of 1965 or in section 602(10) of the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act.

The truth is that the educational system in this country has gone lower and lower and one way to improve that is to get qualified teachers who have the commitment and determination to make that change.

A lot can happen in the next four years and after doing your time, you can move on to teach in other schools or choose to stay and leave a mark for those who have to study in low income schools.

By applying for a federal grant, it is only right that you give back what was taught to you so everything you have learned will be put to good use and you can see that in the eyes of the students.

Just remember that if you fail to complete the required teaching service as explained above, you will have this back to the government as a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan with interest charged from the date of each TEACH Grant disbursement.

Published On: August 31st, 2022 / Categories: Uncategorised /

Subscribe To Receive The Latest News

Curabitur ac leo nunc. Vestibulum et mauris vel ante finibus maximus.

Add notice about your Privacy Policy here.